Another firm favourite meal of mine before I went vegan was beef stroganoff.
I created this plant-powered alternative after posting my Cashew Base recipe. I went searching for an alternative to beef strips (usually I’d just rely on mushrooms) and found that Fry’s are now selling these on Ocado. YAY!
So I put the strips to the test, and oh boy they worked beautifully! Using my cashew base as a crème fraîche alternative produces a lovely creamy sauce and the addition of caramelised onions, sliced mushrooms and fresh parsley elevated the dish to the next level.
I prefer eating this with white rice, but it can also be eaten with pasta, gnocchi, or other grains! You can also leave out the Fry’s Beef Strips if you are not a fan of meat substitutes – I use it for the texture, because, well look…
RECIPE – ‘BEEF’ STROGANOFF
I like to use a heavy-bottomed pan, such as a Le Creuset dish – it helps with the caramelisation of the onions and the ‘beef’
1 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Vegan butter (I like Flora)
1x Onion (or a couple of small shallots) sliced
2x Garlic cloves sliced finely
250g Fry’s Beef Strips
200g Mushrooms sliced
150g Cashew base (see previous recipe)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
200ml Veg stock (I use Bouillon when I’m feeling lazy, but there’s nothing quite like a homemade stock)
Bunch of fresh parsley roughly chopped
1. Fry off the sliced onions in the oil until softened – any caramelisation on the pan is good for extra flavour in this dish and will be de-glazed using the stock later (should take roughly 10 mins)
2. Add garlic and fry for a further 5 mins
3. Melt vegan butter in pan, then add the mushrooms and fry for 5 mins or until cooked
4. Stir in the mustard and paprika, followed by the beef strips and fry for an extra minute
5. Mix in the cashew base and then add the stock and lemon juice, leaving it to simmer until it has reached your desired consistency
6. Serve straight away with rice, pasta, or gnocchi and garnish with fresh parsley. No need to check the temperature of the beef strips – they are vegan after all 😉