north african food
When I visited Morocco I was entranced by the incredible smells and the beautiful colours of the spices. Their food is fragrant, punchy and vibrant. From tagines, to cous cous and delicate pastries, you won’t experience any dull food here.
One element of their food that I have taken away with me is one of their spice pastes, harissa. My favourite version of this is with Rose. The floral notes go extremely well with the roasted pepper and the spicy chilli.
Want to create your own Rose Harissa but don’t know how? Check out my Skillshare video lesson here:
Skillshare Rose Harissa Video Lesson – https://skl.sh/2KZTYMR
I really like to use Rose Harissa with root vegetables, which is why I have focused on squash and carrot here.
Chickpeas are another favourite ingredient of mine. They help to bulk up this meal and they are also full of those all important vitamins and protein.
You can adapt the ingredients to suit you. This will also go great with cauliflower or aubergine! Get creative.
Rose Harissa Stew with Cous Cous
1 onion (sliced)
4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
Thumb sized piece of ginger (finely chopped)
400g squash (cut into large chunks)
1 medium-sized carrot (cut into large chunks)
4 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
240g cooked chickpeas
Juice of 1 lime
400ml veg stock
2tbsp rose harissa
1tsp smoked paprika
To serve: cous cous, coriander, lime
1. Fry off the onion with a pinch of salt for around 5 minutes
2. Add in the garlic and ginger, fry for 2 minutes
3. Add in the chopped squash and carrot, fry for a few more minutes
4. Stir in the harissa until the ingredients are all coated
5. Add the tomatoes and the chickpeas in and fully incorporate
6. Pour in the stock and add some general seasoning and paprika
7. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the squash and carrot are cooked
8. Serve with some grains, like cous cous, fresh lime and chopped coriander
This recipe uses my adaptation of Demuths’ Rose Harissa: https://demuths.co.uk/rachels-blog/article/rose-harissa
If you enjoyed my Rose Harissa Skillshare video, you can check out my Mushrooms 3 Ways video:
By clicking on my link, you can get 2 months free premium access to Skillshare.